Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sad state of affairs

I did another Google search for "physical media", waiting for their layabout crawler to find me out here, and I came across this:

http://gizmodo.com/5038783/worlds-largest-record-collection-is-worth-50-million-no-one-wants-it-for-3-million

That's sad. Also, it seems that a lot of people still believe that most music is available digitally. It's not. While every new release has a digital counterpart, and record labels large and small slowly make back catalogs available, I almost guarantee that if you have a collection of millions of records most of them are not available digitally. For example, I recently picked up SOS Band "On The Rise" and was surprised to find the awesome love jam "Tell Me If You Still Care" is not on iTunes or Rhapsody. This is a Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis album, not some underground thing.

I imagine people who believe "most" music is available digitally have never been in an indie record store. Which, by the way, I hope survive for my kids to see.

No comments: